4/21/15

Book Blog



I recently finished Kindred by Octavia E. Butler. It is about a black woman named Dana who suddenly gets the ability to travel back in time, which she soon figures out is only to save the life of her ancestor Rufus Weilyn or 'Rufe' as she calls him many times throughout the book. As the book progresses you witness Rufus slowly turning from a lovable little boy, to a slave master, almost as cruel as his father, at one point ordering someone to whip Dana.

I thought this book in all honesty sucked. I thought it had poor character development, and it didn't introduce characters well. I think that Dana, was an incredibly unlikable character, who had no real values and was only saving Rufus for her own sake, not because she truly cared for him. Also at the point of the book when she was a slave, she looked down at the other slaves, which I thought was incredibly shallow and immature of the character. Once I started this book I wanted to stop reading it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This week I am reading The Adoration of Jenna Fox. I am not very far but I can tell you it's about a girl named Jenna who gets in a car accident and is in a coma for over a year, and finally wakes up, now remembering anything.

One of my favorite things about it so far is the little poems that begin each chapter. I also think this book is a giant leap from Kindred.



1 comment:

  1. You've probably heard me say this before, but I enjoyed Kindred, though I understand why you think Dana was a fairly shallow character and did not like the book. Nice review.

    ReplyDelete

thanks bud